- General Information
- You must be 16 years of age or older on race day, February 10, 2019, to register for marathon.
- You must be 12 years of age or older on race day, February 10, 2019, to register for half marathon.
- If you are under 18 years of age, you must have a parent or legal guardian sign the waiver in order to participate.
- Registrations are non transferable, non refundable and cannot be deferred. Event insurance is available for purchase, but can ONLY be purchased at the time of your registration.
- Participants must pick up their own race packet by presenting a Photo ID and your race number. We also suggest bringing your confirmation email for proof of registration. We DO NOT offer multiple packet pick up this year due to security issues. Only family members are allowed to pick up their 18 year old or younger child's race packet with their race number email confirmation.
- Race numbers and timing devices are required to participate.
- Participants have six hours, based on clock time, to complete the marathon course and four hours to complete the half marathon. You must be able to complete the marathon/half marathon in this time frame.
- Baby joggers, in-line skates, bicycles, unauthorized vehicles and unregistered runners are prohibited on the course. No pets or smoking on course PLEASE! Any participant breaking one of these rules will be removed from the course, disqualified and will not receive the finishers’ amenities.
- The field will be limited, register early so you won't be left out! The maximum participant cap for the Full Marathon is 1000 and the Half Marathon is 3,500.
- All registrations must be completed online through Runsignup.com.
- The cost of the Mercedes-Benz Marathon is $80 by August 31, $100 by December 31, 2018, and $110 from January 1 through February 5, 2019
- The cost of the Mercedes-Benz Half Marathon is $75 by August 31, $95 by December 31, 2018, and $105 from January 1 through February 5, 2019.
- Entry fees must be paid by credit card only with online registration.
- After February 5, 2019, online registration will be closed and you will have to register at our Expo on Friday or Saturday. The race registration costs during the Expo will be Full Marathon - $130 and the Half Marathon - $120.
- Registration over the phone will NOT be accepted.
- THERE WILL BE NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION OR PACKET PICK-UP. YOU MUST PICK UP YOUR RACE PACKET AT THE EXPO. RACE PACKETS CONTAIN BIBS AND TIMING CHIPS. YOU MUST HAVE A BIB AND TIMING CHIP TO PARTICIPATE IN THE RACE!!
Your registration will be confirmed by e-mail from our event registration host, runsignup.com. If you don’t see your confirmation email in your inbox, please check your spam.
The Mercedes-Benz Marathon and Half-Marathon is open to runners and walkers of all abilities.
- Half Marathon - 4 hour time limit (must maintain a consistent pace of approximately 18:30 minutes per mile)
- Full Marathon - 6 hour time limit (must maintain a consisent pace of approximately 13:44 minutes per mile)
- The famous "Balloon Lady" will be on the course as the "official last finisher" of the full marathon and will be walking at a 6-hour pace. Any full marathoner or relay team who is behind her when the course splits will be directed onto the half marathon course and will receive a half marathon medal and finish line amenity; and relay teams will be disqualified. Staying in front of our “Balloon Lady” is extremely important to ensure the safety of all our participants. If you are behind her at about mile 20 our security/police officers must remove you from the course due to the course closing. The Birmingham Police are adamant about this rule with no exceptions.
- All registered participants will receive a race bag filled with vendor items including a race weekend technical shirt. Marathoners and half marathoners will receive a short sleeved gender specific shirt.
- At the finish line, full marathon and half marathon finishers will receive a race specific finisher’s amenity (to be decided.)
- All race finishers will receive a commemorative Mercedes-Benz Marathon or Mercedes-Benz Half-Marathon finisher’s medal that resembles a large, heavy hood ornament.
- The Post Race Block Party features a live bands, lots of juicy southern barbeque from Jim ‘N Nick’s Bar-B-Q Restaurants, plenty of cold beer from Good People Brewing Company, Michelob Ultra, endless Cokes, Dasani and PowerAde and massages. Race merchandise will still be available for your shopping pleasure as well. All food and festivities are included in your race entry fee. Meal tickets may be purchased for $10 each per person for family and friends not participating in the race. IDs will be checked so be sure you bring yours if you want a beer. It’s a good time for all! Ask your friends, we take our parties seriously!
PowerAde / Water Stations & Course Support
Eleven fully staffed and equipped fluid stations will be on our double loop course. PowerAde, water, petroleum jelly and ibuprofen will be available at each stop. Clearly marked miles and digital clocks will be at the beginning of each mile. Porta lets will be available at every water station as well. Other items and course support such as fruit, cookies, cheerleaders, live entertainment and more will be in different areas along the route. GU will be provided at approximate miles 4, 8, 11, 17, 21, 24.
Emergency personnel with the city of Birmingham and St. Vincent’s Health System will be on call. Medical stations will be available throughout the course and at the start and finish line. If you have medical concerns related to the courses or to your personal situation, please inform the race staff by writing any necessary medical information on the back of your race number and leaving an emergency contact number on your entry form.
Awards / Age Divisions
Awards are given to the top three male and female finishers in each of the following age divisions: 12-14 (half marathon only), 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75 and over. (We do not have a wheelchair division for the full marathon; only for the half marathon.) Click here for information regarding the Awards Ceremonies.
2019 Prize Structure
- Overall cash winners are not eligible for age division awards. If you think you may be a contender for an overall cash award then we suggest you cross the start line timing pad as soon as possible.
- Age division awards will be scored and determined based on Marathon Chip Time NOT Gun time.
- Again, please make note that GUN TIME is used to determine all cash prizes.
- Double dipping is allowed.
- Full - Male record is 2:18:38 – 2018 - Tiidrek Nurme, Estonia
- Full - Female record is 2:35:33 – 2014 - Gisela Olalde, Mexico
- Half - Male record is 1:03:38 – 2010 - Jason Lehmkuhle, USA
- Half - Female record is 1:12:00 – 2018 - Ann Karindi, USA
The Mercedes-Benz Marathon course is a certified course and therefore is a Boston Marathon qualifier. All marathon results will be sent directly to the folks at Boston.