Half Marathon Information
- Minimum Age Requirement: 12 years old on race day, February 16, 2020. If you're under 18 years old, you must have a parent or legal guardian sign the waiver in order to participate.
- Registrations are non transferable, non refundable and cannot be deferred. Event insurance is available for purchase, but can ONLY be purchased at the time of registration.
- Race cap is 3500 participants. Don't be left out, register early.
- Participants must pick up their own race packet by presenting a Photo ID and your race number. We also suggest bringing your confirmation email for proof of registration. We DO NOT offer multiple packet pick up due to security issues. Only family members are allowed to pick up their 18 year old or younger child's race packet with their email confirmation. If you're having air travel conflicts, contact us at email@example.com.
- Baby joggers, in-line skates, bicycles, unauthorized vehicles and unregistered runners are prohibited on the course. No pets or smoking on course PLEASE! Any participant breaking one of these rules will be removed from the course, disqualified and will not receive the finishers’ amenities.
- NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION OR PACKET PICK-UP. You must pick up your race packet and race bib at the Expo. Your timing device is attached to your race bib. You must wear your race bib to participate in the race!! Entry Requierments
|Registration Prices- Half Marathon|
|$75 through August 31, 2019
$95 through December 31, 2019
$105 through February 9, 2020
$115 Race Week & Expo Registration
Your registration will be confirmed by e-mail from our event registration host, runsignup.com. If you don’t see your confirmation email in your inbox, please check your spam.
- Half Marathon - 4 hour time limit (must maintain a consistent pace of 18:30 minutes per mile)
- Please note that our course is a double loop marathon course. Therefore, we have a "Split" at approximately mile 11. All half marathon participants will be directed to the right side of the street in order to lead into the correct finish line chute. The Full/Relay participants will go the left side of the street. The famous "Balloon Lady" will be on the marathon course as the "official last finisher" of the full/relay marathon and will be walking at a 6-hour pace. The Balloon Lady is not pacing the half marathon so you don't need to be concerned with her except to say Hello.
- Race bags filled with vendor items and a short sleeved gender specific technical shirt.
- Cross the finish line and receive a race specific finisher amenity (to be decided) along with a commemorative Mercedes-Benz Half Marathon finisher's medal that resembles a large, heavy hood ornament.
- The Post Race Party features a live band, lots of juicy southern barbeque from Jim ‘N Nick’s Bar-B-Q Restaurants, plenty of cold beer from Good People Brewing Company, Michelob Ultra, endless Cokes, Dasani and PowerAde and massages. All food and festivities are included in your race entry fee. Meal tickets may be purchased for $10 each per person for family and friends not participating in the race. IDs will be checked so be sure you bring yours if you want a beer. It’s a good time for all! Ask your friends, we take our parties seriously!
PowerAde / Water Stations & Course Support
Eight fully staffed and equipped fluid stations will be on our half marathon course. PowerAde, water, petroleum jelly and ibuprofen will be available at each stop. Clearly marked miles and digital clocks will be at the beginning of each mile. Porta lets will be available at every water station as well. Other items and course support such as fruit, cookies, cheerleaders, live entertainment and more will be in different areas along the route. GU will be provided at approximate miles 4, 8, 11.
Emergency personnel with the City of Birmingham and St. Vincent’s Health System will be on call. Medical stations will be available throughout the course and at the start and finish line. If you have medical concerns related to the courses or to your personal situation, please inform the race staff by writing any necessary medical information on the back of your race number and leaving an emergency contact number on your entry form.
Awards / Age Divisions
Awards are given to the top three male and female finishers in each of the following age divisions: 12-14 (half marathon only), 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75 and over. We also have a wheelchair division for the half marathon only. Click here for information on the Awards Ceremonies.
2020 Prize Structure
- Overall cash winners are not eligible for age division awards. CASH PRIZES are determined by GUN TIME. If you think you may be a contender for an overall cash award then we suggest you cross the start line timing pad as soon as possible.
- Age division awards will be scored and determined based on Chip Time NOT Gun time.
- Double dipping is allowed.
- Full - Male record is 2:18:12 – 2019 - Eliud Ngetich, USA
- Full - Female record is 2:35:33 – 2014 - Gisela Olalde, Mexico
- Half - Male record is 1:03:38 – 2010 - Jason Lehmkuhle, USA
- Half - Female record is 1:11:21 – 2019 - Mary Munanu, USA
The Mercedes-Benz Marathon course is a certified course and therefore is a Boston Marathon qualifier. All marathon results will be sent directly to the folks at Boston.