Mercedes Marathon Relay
2014 Relay Race Instructions
If you’re not quite ready for the marathon or half-marathon, then join your coworkers, friends or family and participate in Mercedes Marathon 5 Person Relay! The race will start at the same time as the Mercedes Marathon & Half-Marathon. Each relay team will consist of 5 people, all being at least 12 years of age on race day. All relay team members will receive the same amenities as the half-marathon participants, including a race weekend technical running shirt and smaller version of the Mercedes Marathon finisher’s medal. Team members must submit all five entries together and must designate one team captain. You must have four members to call it a team and participate, but only teams with 5 members are eligible for awards. You will need to send only one team member to the Expo to pick up race packets. They will be given out as a team, not as individual participants.
Awards will be presented to the winning relay in each of these categories at the awards ceremony at Boutwell Auditorium.
- Men’s Team
- Women’s Team
- Middle School/High School Team (must include at least 2 females)
- Mixed Open (must include at least 2 females)
- Masters Open (all at least 40 years old on race day-at least 2 females)
Adult relay entry fee is $215 per team. High School and Middle School Team entry fee is $165. Relay team registration is only available online through Runsignup.com and will be open until midnight of February 10, 2014. After this date registration will only be available at the Expo. All relay team entry fees at the Expo are $225. We will close the relay field at 250 teams so register early! LAST YEAR WE SOLD OUT! Entry fee is non-refundable. There is NO race day registration.
When registering online at Runsignup.com it is not important to list the runners in correct relay leg order. For timing purposes we do not capture each team member's name or place on the team. You do not need to notify our office of any changes to your team unless it involves the team captain contact information, change in team category, or change in team member shirt size.
DATE, TIME, PLACE
The five-person Relay Event will begin with the Mercedes Marathon and Half-Marathon at 7:03 a.m. on Sunday, February 16, 2014 in front of Boutwell Auditorium in Downtown Birmingham.
NUMBER OF RUNNERS AND DISTANCES
Each team will consist of five runners. The relay is held on the same course as the individual marathon and run at the same time. Each Relay team is assigned a single timing chip that is attached to an ankle strap that will be passed from each runner. The ankle strap must be passed off to the next runner of the relay after crossing over the timing pad at the relay exchange. Details about the timing chip exchange are covered below. The distances for each leg are approximately (1) 6.05 miles, (2) 2.95 miles, (3) 6.05 miles, (4) 3.05 miles, (5) 8.10 miles.
Should the runner of the FIRST LEG of the relay wish to also continue running in the Mercedes Marathon or Mercedes Half-Marathon that runner must complete, including payment, an individual entry form for the full or half marathon. This person will wear the relay team number and the timing chip ankle strap as well as their own individual number and chip. Your relay timing chip will be attached to an ankle strap and your individual timing chip will be attached to your individual race bib.
RELAY EXCHANGE AREAS
The Relay Exchange Areas are as follows:
- Relay Exchange # 1 - Backside of Glen Iris Elementary School - 14th Avenue S. and 11th Place South - from the start to Relay Exchange #1 is a 6.05 miles - from Relay Exchange #1 to Relay Exchange #2 is a 2.95 miles.
- Relay Exchange # 2 - Highland Ave by golf course just before Clairmont Avenue- from Relay Exchange #2 to Relay Exchange #3 is 6.05 miles.
- Relay Exchange #3 - Kelly Ingram Park across from the Civil Rights Institute - 4th Avenue North and 16th Street N- from Relay Exchange #3 to Relay Exchange #4 is a 3.05 miles.
- Relay Exchange # 4 - Epic School parking lot - 1000 10th Ave S - from Relay Exchange #4 to the Finish Line is 8.1 miles.
Each marathon relay team will be given one ankle strap which will have the "team" timing chip attached. This ankle strap/timing chip is to be attached to the next runner's ankle once the runner has crossed over the timing pad at each relay exchange. The last runner will take off the ankle strap/timing chip at the finish line and leave it with finish line officials.
Relay runners will need to be alert for their upcoming exchange zone. This area will be designated by signs and will be to the side of the marathon course after crossing over the timing mat allowing for room to pass off the ankle strap/timing chip. Please be considerate of other runners during the transition.
The Marathon, Half-Marathon and Relay are open to runners and walkers of all abilities. However, a six-hour time limit has been set. This means a participant or team must maintain consistent pace of at least 13:44 per mile. Relay teams need to keep this in mind and may need to alternate slower runners with faster runners to keep within the time limits. Relay Team Member #3 must stay in front the balloon lady when the course splits at 20th St., N. and 5th Ave., N. or he/she will be sent to the finish line and will be disqualified. Team members still at relay exchange zones 4 & 5 will not be able to run.
It is very important that your relay team member #3 understands how the course has a “split” so the full marathon and relay marathon participants can continue on the double loop course. The “split” is at the intersection of 20th St., N. and 5th Ave., N. It will be well marked with turn directions and the team member should already be in the right hand lane of the street to make this turn. Beginning at approximately mile 11 at 32nd St, S. and 2nd Ave., S. the street lanes will be coned off separating the half marathon runners from the full and relay marathon runners. Your relay member along with the full marathon runners should be in the right lane for approximately 2 more miles where they will turn at the “split” and begin to run down 5th Ave., N. This turn at 5th Ave., N. will begin your double loop of the course. Please learn and know the course by checking out our course map on the home page.
- The first runner will need to arrive at the start line in plenty of time to park the car, warm-up, check in gear, etc.
- All other relay runners will need to be at their designated relay exchange areas in plenty of time to allow them to check in their warm-up gear, warm-up, etc. Although transportation is provided to each exchange point, it is the responsibility of each runner to be on time and ready to run the next leg of the relay.
- While some runners will want to provide their own transportation to their exchange areas, many others will need transportation. For those relay runners, transportation will be provided to their respective relay exchange area via yellow school buses. The buses will be located on 19th Street N between park Place and 8th Ave N near City Hall and the Greyhound Bus Station. Each bus will be marked #1, #2, #3, #4 to designate which bus to ride on to get to your exchange area. Please remember that many roads along the course will be closed, so you are encouraged to use the transportation provided.
- Runner #2 going to Relay Exchange #1 at Glen Iris Elementary- leaves at 6:15 a.m.
- Runner #3 going to Relay Exchange #2 at Highland Golf Course - leaves at 6:20 a.m.
- Runner #4 going to Relay Exchange #3 at Civil Rights Institute - leaves at 6:25 a.m. (but really, you can walk to this one after the race starts - it's 5-6 blocks away from the start)
- Runner #5 going to Relay Exchange #4 at Epic School - leaves at 6:30 a.m.
- If you are providing your own transportation to your relay exchange area, remember that the marathon course will be closed off to traffic starting t 7:00 a.m. You will not be able to drive on the actual course once runners start arriving in that area. Please use common sense and DO NOT PARK DIRECTLY ON THE COURSE! Please plan ahead.
- When runners have completed their leg of the race, there will be transportation available back to the finish line area. Look for the bus or signs directing you to your bus at the exchange area for your ride back. (Due to traffic issues, Runner #1 will need to walk a couple of blocks to the exchange area at Epic School to catch the bus back to the finish line).
BAG CHECK (CHECK-IN AND PICK-UP)
Bag Check will be located in the designated BAG CHECK area just near the starting line. A bag check claim tag is located on your race bib or tags will be available to attach to your bag at the bag check area. If you want to make something available for yourself to put on after your relay leg, then you will need to work that out with your team member running the leg after you. Any gear not claimed will be turned over to Boutwell Auditorium Lost & Found.
RELAY AWARDS AND RESULTS FOUR MEMBERS TO RACE, FIVE MEMBERS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR AWARDS
Relay Finishers Caps and Medals will be given as a single package for each team at the finish line on race day. The final leg #5 team member is then responsible for distributing caps and medals to their team. Please be sure each relay team member is aware of this so no one is looking for a medal at the finish line or at a relay exchange point. Awards will be presented to the winning relay team in each category at the awards ceremony at Boutwell Auditorium between 1:00 – 1:30 p.m. If your team wins its division then someone from your team must be present to get the award. We do not mail out awards. Please plan your travel accordingly. All team results will be posted on the Mercedes Marathon web site, http://mercedesmarathon.com, after the race.
NOTICE: Due to insurance regulations, unregistered runners, unauthorized vehicles, bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, strollers, baby joggers and other wheeled devices and animals are prohibited in the race.
NO SMOKING ALLOWED ON COURSE. IF YOU ARE CAUGHT SMOKING YOU WILL BE PULLED FROM THE COURSE AND DISQUALIFIED! NO EXCEPTIONS.
Mercedes Marathon is a Boston Marathon qualifier and your results will automatically be sent to Boston
Please Support our Sponsors